Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Absence makes the heart grow fonder is NOT a one-size-fits-all T-shirt

Rob is in Africa for 10 days. He is in Uganda, speaking at a Conference.
Today is "Day Four, Six Days to Go."

People keep telling me that absence makes the heart grown fonder.
Well, I have thought and thought about it.
And while people seem to mean well, if they say it again I will surely SCEAM!

Maybe it is true for some people some of the time. But why do people say it all the time like it is some true, proven, and appropriate thing to say to ALL people ALL the time? It is NOT a one-size-fits-all T-shirt. One size never "fits all" anyway. People just say that. But why? I guess they mean well. Maybe they don't know what else to say. But, oh my! I just can NOT hear it any more.

I mean, it is BECAUSE my heart is so MASSIVELY fond of my husband that that very fondness makes my heart ache for him now. My heart is breaking with his absence. For 10 days I don't even get to talk to him on the phone. How I ask, HOW does absence make my heart grow fonder of him who I love more than anyone but GOD!?

No comments:

Post a Comment